are a Scottish hard rock
band formed in 1968, that had several hits
in the United Kingdom, as well as in several other West European countries in the early 1970s, and established an international audience with their 1975 album Hair of the Dog
, which featured their hits "Hair of the Dog
" and a cover of the ballad "Love Hurts
". The band continues to record and tour.
Hair of the Dog
is the sixth studio album
by the Scottish hard rock band Nazareth
, released in 1975. The album was recorded at Escape Studios, Kent
, with additional recording and mixing at AIR Studios
, London, and is the group’s best known and highest selling release, with over two million copies sold worldwide.
After three albums with Deep Purple
's Roger Glover
producing, Manny Charlton
stepped into that position, one he filled for several subsequent albums.
It was Nazareth's first big hit
album (aside from the minor success of Razamanaz), including classics such as the title track
, "Love Hurts
" (on the US version, but not the Canadian/European, it replaced the original "Guilty"), "Beggars Day" and "Please Don't Judas Me".
According to Nazareth frontman Dan McCafferty
, the track on Hair of the Dog in which a dishonest young woman finally meets her match provided the original album title with its recognizable chorus of “now you’re messing with a… a son of a bitch! (an “heir of the dog,”)” Nazareth’s record label, wasn’t about to let them name the project Son of a Bitch. Thus, Hair of the Dog was selected as a compromise, putting the finishing touches on a career-defining release.The album title is often considered to be a shortened form of the phrase describing a folk hangover
cure, "the hair of the dog
that bit you".
No Mean City
is the tenth studio album
by the Scottish hard rock
, released in 1979. The album title comes from the 1935 novel No Mean City
and features artwork illustrated by Rodney Matthews
. With this record the band's sound was heavier, considering the addition of guitarist Zal Cleminson of the Sensational Alex Harvey Band. It sold very well at the time, with the main single Star, preceded by Whatever You Want Babe. The popularity of the album allowed the band to play with several big names such as Thin Lizzy, on their 1978/79 tour.
Nazareth- Hair Of The Dog cd1
All songs written by Manny Charlton, Dan McCafferty, Pete Agnew, Darrell Sweet, except where noted.
1. "Hair of the Dog" 4:11
2. "Miss Misery" 4:40
3. "Guilty" (International editions) Randy Newman 3:38
4. "Changin' Times" 6:03
5. "a) Beggars Day" (Grin
"b) Rose in the Heather[a]" a) Nils Lofgren 6:31
6. "Whiskey Drinkin' Woman" 5:29
7. "Please Don't Judas Me" 9:48
8. "Love Hurts" (The Everly Brothers cover; originally track 3 on US edition) Boudleaux Bryant 3:53
Nazareth- No Mean City 1979 cd2
All lyrics written by Manny Charlton, Dan McCafferty, Pete Agnew, Darrell Sweet unless otherwise noted.
1. "Just to Get into It" 4:24
2. "May the Sunshine" 4:55
3. "Simple Solution, Parts 1&2" Zal Cleminson 4:59
4. "Star" Charlton, McCafferty 4:55
5. "Claim to Fame" Manny Charlton 4:30
6. "Whatever You Want Babe" Manny Charlton 3:42
7. "What's in It for Me" Manny Charlton 4:19
8. "No Mean City, Parts 1&2" Agnew, Charlton, Cleminson, McCafferty, Sweet 6:32
30th anniversary bonus track
9. "May the Sunshine" (single edit) Agnew, Charlton, Cleminson, McCafferty, Sweet 3:31
10. "Whatever You Want Babe" (single edit) Manny Charlton 2:59
11. "Star" (US Version) Charlton, McCafferty 4:55
12. "No Mean City" (alternate edit) Agnew, Charlton, Cleminson, McCafferty, Sweet 3:32
13. "Simple Solution" (edit)